Thursday, July 4, 2019

These Signs Shall Follow Them


"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.   He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.   And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;   They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." Mark 16:15-18 KJV

What a refreshing verse for this holiday weekend, to offset the attention giving to individuals kneeling during the ceremony of raising the flag as a sign of protest.  As believers, the Savior’s words about signs that will follow them seems to capture my attention instead of the normal festivities. Unlike Fake News, this Scripture unfold signs that we as believers must recognize in our lives:

1) They shall speak with new tongue. I believe this phase focuses on the believers’ behavior as reflected in their conversation. For instance, many individuals’ life purpose centers on selfishness to improve ones’ status. Therefore, believers will focus on others while they set a new life purpose away from the accumulation of things.
2) Take up serpents and drink any deadly thing, it shall not harm them. Even though, in our modern society snakes tend to remain in wooded area instead of congregating in our homes; yet, I think this verse references the unexpected incidents that easily put humans in perilous situation. As believers, we tend to walk away from fatality by an unforeseen protection. Remember, believers war against unseen forces in a spiritual warfare with aid from heavenly beings.
3) They shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. 4) They shall cast out devils. These last two signs of healing the sick and casting our evil spirits are collectively benefits within believers. These benefits result from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. As believers pray for others who requires healing, the deliverance of sickness and even from evil spirits will occur. Yet, believers realize that such deliverance transpires from the work on the Holy Spirit instead of themselves.  
Scripture recognizes the location of the Savior as sitting by God the Father in heaven. (Mark 16:19) Now this setting demonstrates more than ever the fulfilling of the Savior’s words found in John 14:12, “He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.” So I am pondering whether I have allowed the Holy Spirit to perform such works through my vessel like the Savior preformed while on Earth for the Father. This revelation alone causes me to pray as follows:

Dearest heavenly Father who is omniscient and omnipotent knows my limitation and weaknesses yet YOU provided a source for empowering me. Therefore, allow me to become that vessel to demonstrate your love to others who feels hopeless and despair. Then, I know that when I display your LOVE, these individuals will come to know you like I know you. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Indeed we should know who we are as believers in Christ Jesus. We are filled with His awesome power, the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:37. We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us!!

    ReplyDelete