Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Who am I? Woman the Bible


My name means my father is joy. I am quick witted, wise, beautiful, and a great peacemaker.  I gave one of the longest speeches recorded by a woman in the Bible. I was once married to a rich but foolish man. He was a blockhead, a numb skull, and a nincompoop. We had lots of land and herds. David and his army were taking refuge from Saul, and they camped near our land. They protected our sheep from wolves, and bandits, and subsequently, our herds prospered.

One day David’s men came and asked of my husband if we could give them some food and drink. Of course, my foolish husband said no insulting to the future king of Israel. David’s men went back and told David what had happened. So David gathered 400 men to come and kill my husband along with his servants.  Well, our servants knew my wisdom. So one of them informed me of the conversation between my husband and David’s men. I immediately saddled up a few donkeys to take David’s army some food that consisted of 200 loaves of bread, two wine skins of wine, the meat of five sheep, a bushel of grain, 100 clusters of raisins, and 200 fig cakes. Mainly, I had heard about David and his kindness toward Saul and Jonathan. I heard about his victories and his love for the Lord God of Israel. When I met him, I fell to mine knees to display humbleness. I asked forgiveness for the disrespect of my husband and reminded him of how the Lord had taken care of him and that the Lord will avenge his enemies. 

David thanked me for reminding him of the sinful behavior of revenge when pursued by his own hands. He accepted my gifts and told me to return home in peace.  Well, I returned to explain to my husband the seriousness of these events but he was intoxicated at the time. So I waited until the next morning to provide the anticipated results of his stubbornness. When I finished my story, my husband had a stroke and 10 days later he died.

Now when David heard about what had happened. He remembered my beauty and wisdom. Then, David asked me to become his wife of which I consented immediately. Who am I?

My name is Abigail. My story is found 1 Samuel 25.

It is very important to pray for our husbands. Ask God daily for His wisdom and understanding.  Strive to become peacemakers and not mess makers.  Abigail was called and set apart for the purpose of a peacemaker. Mathew 5:9 reminds us that, “blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.”
by my sister, 
Dena Baker Brooks

No comments:

Post a Comment